Satellite Communications and CirrusWorks
Satellite connectivity requires a disciplined approach to bandwidth for providers as well as users. Since satellite bandwidth is both narrow and billable by volume, every effort must be made to organize traffic and prioritize transaction data to avoid retransmissions and buffer bloat at earth stations.
The chaotic nature of commodity Internet traffic does not always fit itself well into the structured world of satellite. Streaming traffic and file transfers attempt to steal all available bandwidth, in turn creating WAN circuit congestion, packet delay and ultimately poor overall service quality for time dependent applications.
The easy to install CirrusWorks Governor device enables fast and reliable Internet, especially during peak periods of network congestion. The network appliance installs in minutes and is maintenance free. The CirrusWorks Governor is a next generation bandwidth management device that costs a fraction of alternative approaches to improving network performance.
Benefits at a Glance
- Improves your existing bandwidth
- Automatic updates and configuration
- Enhances traditional packet shapers
- Lowers IT cost
Low Cost Traffic Control from the CPE Location
CirrusWorks has designed and fielded a number of low cost appliance engines that extend the life of any existing Internet, private or VPN connection over satellite. Additionally, it promotes fairness among the mixed applications and users sharing their connection.
CirrusWorks devices are placed within the CPE LAN and generates automatic congestion control. Our devices also provides WAN (Internet link) optimization and enforce user prioritization. The key differentiations of CirrusWorks are cost to deploy and cost to maintain. Unlike complex and expensive application-based packet shapers, CirrusWorks is deployable at the remote office, campus and datacenter levels with a justifiable ROI for each and a low cost to maintain.
Minimal Deployment and Configuration Costs
CirrusWorks Governor is a next generation bandwidth management engine that does not require rules or policies. The Governor is a cloud-managed, solid-state appliance (or server) designed for a baseline minimum configuration installation into almost any LAN environment.
Uses Behavioral Analysis Instead of Rules
The CirrusWorks Governor automatically adjusts bandwidth utilization based on user demand and behavior in real-time. Because the Governor adjusts bandwidth dynamically – regardless of what users are doing – it is extremely effective in most network environments.
Works for Encrypted Data and VPN Segments
The CirrusWorks Governor does not need to understand the contents of the user payload data or any application specific information in order to classify user activity at the L2 level. The Governor transparently passes all industry standard security and encrypted data, in/out-of-band management packets, web applications and web IP real-time and streaming modes (including Web-RTC for HTML-5).
Augments Traditional Packet Shaping
The CirrusWorks Governor was designed to co-exist with other packet flow devices on your network, including routers, firewalls, gateways, content filters, traffic shapers and L2 or L3 switches. The Governor complements your network, maximizing your previous infrastructure investments, and enables effective rate-capping to ensure guests and staff get the online experience they expect.
The CirrusWorks Governor next generation bandwidth management device provides the following benefits:
- Reduces the Need to Add Surplus Bandwidth. Adding too much bandwidth is an expensive, short-term fix that rarely solves the data congestion problem, especially during peak usage periods. CirrusWorks ensures that your available bandwidth, regardless of circuit size, is maximizing its efficiency for all users.
- Lowers IT Costs. Limited configuration is required in most network environments, making the Governor a good choice for busy IT staff. Advanced users can customize their setup for maximum control. Since the Governor engine automates the process for you, there’s no need for training or dedicated IT staff – saving you time and money. The Governor’s self-learning algorithm even improves network performance over time, making ongoing adjustments unnecessary.
- Automated and Dynamic. CirrusWorks improves traffic flows by making instantaneous decisions about the optimal prioritization scheme to be applied to the traffic – all in real time. By constantly making “best fit” decisions, traffic becomes normalized and tends to stay optimized – averting the rushes and surges often seen in traditional packet shaping implementations.
- Augments Traditional Packet Shaping. The CirrusWorks Governor was designed to co-exist with other packet flow devices on your network, including routers, firewalls, gateways, content filters, traffic shapers and L2 or L3 switches. The Governor complements your network, maximizing your previous infrastructure investments, and enables effective rate-capping to ensure guests and staff get the online experience they expect.