Public Sector and CirrusWorks
Local, state, and Federal agencies are rapidly adopting use of video-rich media, VOIP and video conferencing, BYOD and cloud-based file storage to enhance productivity and reduce IT costs. All of these activities are increasing real-time demand on the WAN circuit, causing WAN circuit congestion, packet delays and ultimately poor overall service quality for time-dependent applications.
For government offices struggling with network performance issues, a cost-effective and innovative solution has arrived. The easy to install CirrusWorks Governor device enables fast and reliable Internet in most network enviornments during peak periods of network congestion. The network appliance installs in minutes and is maintenance free, saving you time, money and resources.
Benefits at a Glance
- Improves your existing bandwidth
- Automatic updates and configuration
- Enhances traditional packet shapers
- Lowers IT cost
Increasing Demand for Data from a Diverse User Base
A wide array of constituents, from local citizens to office staff, demand high performance Internet all the time. Internet delays due to data congestion result in reduced work productivity and, in some cases, have serious consequences. For example, 911 dispatch operations or County health departments demand consistent and reliable Internet to carry out their operations effectively. Agency budgets are under constant scrutiny and IT staff are stretched too thin – making it difficult to ensure fast Internet all the time.
The IP traffic flow problem is a complex data model that must account for the asynchronous end-to-end data flows of each application and user over time. When collisions and delays are experienced on the Internet, the traditional course of action has been to increase the bandwidth of the WAN circuit. Demand rises to meet the upgraded bandwidth offered and continues until the new circuit is also overwhelmed. So relief from increased bandwidth is often temporary or non-existent and can be cost prohibitive.
The Internet Access Gateway or Controller (NAC) is also to blame for slow Internet. When operated in default mode, all users vie for the same Internet resource without regard to actual throughput availability or specific user data traffic volumes. Even when rate capping is applied to the user base, the vast oversubscription of bandwidth does not overcome the inequity of high bandwidth users vs. low bandwidth users. Thus most users have a negative experience.
The CirrusWorks Governor next generation bandwidth management device provides the following benefits:
- Reduces the Need to Add Surplus Bandwidth. Adding too much bandwidth is an expensive, short-term fix that rarely solves the data congestion problem, especially during peak usage periods. CirrusWorks ensures that your available bandwidth, regardless of circuit size, is maximizing its efficiency for all users.
- Lowers IT Costs. Limited configuration is required in most network environments, making the Governor a good choice for busy IT staff. Advanced users can customize their setup for maximum control. Since the Governor engine automates the process for you, there’s no need for training or dedicated IT staff – saving you time and money. The Governor’s self-learning algorithm even improves network performance over time, making ongoing adjustments unnecessary.
- Automated and Dynamic. CirrusWorks improves traffic flows by making instantaneous decisions about the optimal prioritization scheme to be applied to the traffic – all in real time. By constantly making “best fit” decisions, traffic becomes normalized and tends to stay optimized – averting the rushes and surges often seen in traditional packet shaping implementations.
- Augments Traditional Packet Shaping. The CirrusWorks Governor was designed to co-exist with other packet flow devices on your network, including routers, firewalls, gateways, content filters, traffic shapers and L2 or L3 switches. The Governor complements your network, maximizing your previous infrastructure investments, and enables effective rate-capping to ensure guests and staff get the online experience they expect.